How to Make Dukkah (Egyptian Spice Blend)

Dukkah is an Egyptian staple- it's a powdery topping/condiment, and it's crazy addicting.

*Dukkah=Egyptian cocaine...? You didn't hear it from me.

Sorry, that was stupid.

Seriously, though, dukkah (pronounced dew-kah, I think), is insanely yummy, and is great for both entertaining/impressing guests and curling up in your bed with a box of crackers. The recipe's super flexible, and it only takes about five minutes to make!

Let's gooo ✰

Ingredients:

⇝ Two handfuls of roasted hazelnuts (chopped)
⇝ 1 tsp roasted fennel seeds
⇝ A handful of roasted sesame seeds
⇝ 1 tbsp cumin
⇝ 2 tbsp coriander seeds
⇝ A couple pinches of sea salt

*You can also add almonds, but for some reason I can never find any in the pantry, so I do without.

Dump everything in a food processor, or grind by hand if you wanna bulk up.

When serving, try mixing the powder with olive oil, hummus, or labne (a cheesy Greek yogurt), then spread it on literally anything you can find (baguette, naan, rice, crackers, etc). It's also great with cherry tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers. You can even sprinkle it, dry, on breakfast eggs. So good.

As I cooked and ate this versatile seasoning in the warm afternoon, I listened to slow, soothing music, and I recommend you do the same. Songs such as Six Feet Under (Billie Eilish), Lonesome Town (Ricky Nelson), and Us and Them (Pink Floyd) pair very well with dukkah.


Anyway, I hope you have a great day, maybe enhanced by a great Egyptian seasoning. If you found this recipe helpful, or if you're into international cuisines, please subscribe! Or don't! It's okay! I love you!








Comments